Scones are easy to make and delicious. In the summer months, you will find scones being served in cafes, restaurants, snacks bars and even pubs. A favourite combination: 2 warm scones, butter, clotted cream, strawberry jam and a pot of tea.
100 g (4oz) self raising flour
tsp baking powder
large pinch salt
60 ml milk for mixing
25 g (1oz) margarine
2 tsp. milk for glazingEquipment
scales round-bladed knife skewer oven cloth mixing bowl tablespoon pastry brush baking sheet measuring jug teaspoon cooling tray flour dredger wooden spoonTemperature
Gas mark 8. Electric 230C (450F)Method
- Grease the baking sheet with the margarine paper.
- Put the flour and salt into the mixing bowl and add the margarine cut into small pieces.
- With the finger tips rub the margarine into the flour until it looks like fine bread crumbs. Shake the bowl gently to make certain there are no lumps of fat.
- Add all the mixing milk and mix quickly with the wooden spoon or knife to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough on to a lightly floured table and knead lightly until it is smooth and round.
- With the smoothest side on top gently flatten the dough with the palm of your hand until it is 2 cm (1 in.) thick.
- Make two cuts with the knife through the centre of the dough to form a deep cross. The four scones formed can easily be broken apart when cooked.
- Place the scones on to the baking sheet and brush the top with milk.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until well risen and brown on top.
- Cool on a cooling tray.
When a cutter is used as many scones as possible should be cut the first time. Then the remaining dough should be re-kneaded before cutting again.VariationsSweet scones
Add 1 tbs. of sugar after stage 3 and mix together.Currant scones
Add 1 tbs. of sugar and 1 tbs. of currants after stage 3, and mix together.Cheese scones
Add 2 rounded tbs. of grated (Cheddar) cheese after stage 3 and mix together.
Die Fundgrube für den Englischunterricht
Wer um landeskundliche Informationen oder einen kleinen Witz für den Unterricht verlegen ist, findet oft bei den 'Fundgruben' schnelle Hilfe. Es sind zwei Bände bis jetzt erschienen, wobei Band 2 deutlich besser als Band 1 organisiert ist.
Fundgrube Band 1
Fundgrube Band 2